Kaalsarpa literally means “Serpent of time”. Basically this yoga is formed when all the seven planets get trapped between Rahu and Ketu. This can happen in two ways
1. When all the planets are between Rahu and Ketu. This is known as “Udit Golaardh” meaning ascending hemisphere. This is also known as “Grassit” yoga.
2. When all the planets are between Ketu and Rahu.. This is known as “Anudit Golaardh” meaning discending hemisphere. This is also known as “Mukta” yoga.
The right way to understand which of the 2 ways this dosha is operating is to see by the motion of planets. Rahu and Ketu move clockwise being always retrograde while rest of the planets move in an anticlockwise direction. If the planets are moving away from Rahu, then they are considered between Rahu and Ketu. But if the planets are moving into Rahu (as if Rahu is swallowing them) then the planets are between Ketu and Rahu.
Cancellation of Kaalsarp Yoga
It is to be noted here that if a plant joins either Rahu or Ketu in any house then this yoga gets cancelled. This is true irrespective of the degrees of the joining planet in the house of Rahu or Ketu. E.g. let’s say all the planets are between Rahu and Ketu, but Rahu is joined by Mars. Let’s further assume that the Rahu is at 15 degress and Mars is at 23 degrees. Now from astronomy perspective Mars still lies between Rahu and Ketu, but from Vedic astrology perspective the yoga gets cancelled. Same is the case if Mars is at 14 degrees in the same house.
Types of Kaalsarp Yoga
Depending on where the position of Rahu/Ketu in the chart is, various types of yoga form.
Annant Kaalsarp Yoga
When rahu is in the first House and Ketu in the seventh house and the rest of the planets are left to this axis the Yoga which arises is the Anant Kaalsarpa Yoga. This is also called as Vipareeta Kaalsarpa Yoga opposite Kaalsarpa yoga. Though this yoga has the power to give windfall gains to the native, it is bad for marital life. Generally natives with this yoga get married late in life or can have problems in marriage life. There could be problems to business or business partner as well. If the native becomes very hardworking and pay attention to personal development, then this yoga can actually create a lot of good results. Life will be full of struggle but theough the power of self-effort , the native can go very high.
Kulik Kaalsarp Yoga
When Rahu occupies the second house and Ketu the eighth house Kulik Kaalsarpa Yoga arises. This combination is bad for health. There could be diseases of the sexual nature or of the private parts. This is bad for financial prosperity too. The native is worried on account of an insecure financial standing. They may get into business problems and may face problems in accumulating money. The native may also misuse his interest in occult practices.
Vasuki Kaalsarp Yoga
When Rahu occupies the third house and Ketu the ninth house and the rest of the planets are located to the left of the Rahu Ketu axis this yoga is formed. The native may have to struggle a lot to stand on his own feet and get recognition and status in life. There could be sudden strokes of fortune or misfortune and sudden gains. The positive effects will come only if the overall chart is very strong and there are no malefic aspects on either 9th house or 9th lord.
Shankpaal Kaalsarp Yoga
When Rahu occupies the 4th house and Ketu the 10th and rest of the planets fall in between this yoga is formed. The native may have to face difficulties for domestic happiness, general happiness, comfort and conveyance. The native gets trouble relating to work, progeny, health and marriage. However this yoga also has the power of conferring high political success and windfall gains if Sun and 10th house are strong and are being aspected by benefics.
Padam Kaalsarp Yoga
When Rahu occupies the fifth house and Ketu the eleventh house and rest of the planets fall in between this yoga is formed. The native struggles on account of children and education. The native may feel emotionally insecure due to lack of apparent love from others. There could be delay in getting children. The native should stay away from extra marital affairs as illegitimate children can destroy his/her life. There are also chances of being let down/betrayed by near and dear ones. The native must try to develop a balanced outlook in life.
Mahapadam Kaalsarp Yoga
This yoga is formed when Rahu is in the 6th house and Ketu is in the twelfth house and rest of the planets fall in between. The native has secret enemies and has problems in relation to one’s occupation. The native may develop a negative tendency to play with the law of the land and may get into serious troubles on account of this tendency. However if this yoga acts beneficially it has the power to confer power and political success.
Takshak Kaalsarp Yoga
When Rahu is in the seventh house and Ketu in the first house and rest of the planets fall in between this yoga is formed. There may be difficulties regarding health, love affairs, progeny and marriage. There will be a lot of struggle in life and success will come only after a lot of hard work and difficulties. This is also not a good position for business partnerships as well as relations with opposite sex. The native must focus on his people skills if this yoga is present.
Karkotak Kaalsarp Yoga
When Rahu occupies the eighth house and Ketu the second house and rest of the planets fall in between this yoga is formed. The native is short tempered and has many enemies. There may be dirty habits like smoking, drinking and use of abusive language. This could also be the result of bad company the native like to keep. There could be health problems and lack of harmony. There is also danger of getting into sudden accidents.
Shankachood Kaalsarp Yoga
When Rahu occupies the ninth house and Ketu is in the 3rd house and rest of the planets fall in between this yoga is formed. Natives who have this yoga in the chart go through many ups and downs in life. The progress in life takes a very bumpy road. Luck may elude the native. Relations with father and siblings may also be strained. Native should stay away from the activities which may earn him bad name in the society.
Ghatak Kaalsarp Yoga
When Rahu is in tenth house and Ketu in the fourth house and rest of the planets fall in between this yoga is formed. There could be problems related to one’s profession. There could be sudden ups and downs in one’s profession. The native must stay away from getting in to trouble with seniors at work. There could be general unhappiness in native’s life. It could be due to problems at work, debt or some bad habits.
Vishdhar Kaalsarp Yoga
When Rahu occupies the eleventh house and Ketu the fifth house and rest of the planets fall in between this yoga is formed. The native must stay away from gambling and other forms of speculations. Problems may also arise from progeny and education. The native must stay away from egoistical attitude as that may mar his chances of good name in the society.
Sheshnag Kaalsarp Yoga
When Rahu occupies the twelfth house and Ketu the 6th house and rest of the planets fall in between this yoga is formed. The native may become very selfish and may also get into troubles with authorities because of this. The native may have problems relating to litigation. This yoga may also give bad health. However this yoga takes the native to a far off place for settlement.
How to Analyze Kaalsarp Yoga
Contrary to popular belief the effects of this Yoga are not always malefic. Just having one of the 12 combinations described above does not mean that the native will invariably go through the results described above. The whole chart needs to be analyzed in order to come to a conclusion. In my experience following factors should be considered.
1. One must check the overall strength of the chart by looking at Lagna, Lagna lord, Moon and Sun. If the overall chart is strong this will not let the kaalsarpa yoga have any major negative influence. A weak chart on the other hand will not be able to protect the native.
2. Depending on the Rahu/Ketu position, determine which side of the axis has all planets. All the houses of the side which is totally empty will feel the effects of this yoga. The houses in which Rahu/Ketu fall will particularly determine the area of life which will be impacted negatively.
3. However if the lord of the houses falling on the empty side of the Rahu/Ketu are very well placed (Exalted, in Friend’s house, in own house, aspecting their own house). Then those houses will not suffer that much and negative effect will be reduced to the factors attributed to those houses.
4. Vasuki, Padam, Mahapadam, Shankachood and Vishdhar Kaalsarpa generally do not give bad results if the overall chart is in a really bad shape. This is because of their association with 3rd, 6th and 11th house in which Rahu/Ketu are considered favorable.
5. If in D-9 chart Rahu/Ketu fall in 3rd, 6th or 11th house, then the effects are reduced.
6. One must check the constellations of Rahu/Ketu as well. If they fall in benefic constellations (if the lords are natural benefic planets) then they become more unfavorable.
7. Its impact will be more prominent during dasha and antardasha periods of Rahu and Ketu. This is very important point. If this yoga is very strong in one’s chart, but the dasha does not operate till very late in his life, then it really does not effect the native that much.
8. It causes severe hardships when related with Sun and Saturn or the lords of the houses occupied by Sun or Saturn.
Remedy for kaalsarp yoga is a controversial subject. However in my humble experience the following are known to have brought relief.
1. Recite Lord Shiva’s mantra “Om Namah Shivay” 108 times daily.
2. Recite Mahamritunjaya mantra daily. Everytime a bad thought comes to your mins or you see things going in the wrong direction, recite this mantra
3. Keep fast for 16 Mondays.
4. Give Blue or Brown cloth, wheat, mirror, sesame seeds, oil, iron and blanket towards charity
5. Aviod wearing black clothes.
Indian Astrology Remedies-Do They Really Work?
What Are Vedic Astrology Remedies?
Human beings in their life face a lot of pain, misery and troubles, which affect them both emotionally as well as physically. To avoid pain and to seek pleasure has been one of the major objectives of our lives. The other major objective for a select few of us is to know our true self and to know the ultimate reality and be one with it. Whether the objective is material or spiritual, as per one’s destiny there could be a lot of hurdles. Vedic (Indian) astrology has not only given us tools to determine what’s destiny has in store for us but also ways to avoid the hurdles in achieving our material or spiritual goals. These ways as suggested by the astrological principles are called remedies. All these remedies attempt to correct one of the two situations as depicted in your chart. They are making good planets stronger or making effect of bad planets weaker.
Doubts About Vedic Astrology Remedies?
A number of people who believe in Indian astrology refuse to believe the efficacy of the remedial measures it offers. Here are some of many questions I have received in the past.
“The underlying assumption of astrology being karma theory and planets being just ’soochakas’ rather than ‘karakas’ (signals rather than doers), is there a justification for remedy at all?”
“All of life events are something that I feel are destined. If they are destined and my astrological charts are telling me this, how can I change something written in my chart and hence in my destiny”
“If my chart is predicting an unfavorable event in my life, and by remedies if I am able to stop that event from happening, wouldn’t that invalidate what’s written in my chart”
Why Remedies Do Not Work?
All of the above are excellent questions. But there is valid theory behind the concept of remedies. Just like when a drug company introduces a new drug, it goes through clinical trials for several years before it is released for the consumption of common public, similarly these remedies are tried and tested by years of practice of our ancient seers. However just as a drug is not suitable for everyone and only a very experienced doctor can tell if a drug is right under certain conditions, similarly only a very experienced Indian astrologer can tell the right remedy for the right person valid under certain conditions. Majority of the so-called astrologers do not follow the rules correctly and hence give a bad name to these remedies.
What is the Astrological Basis of Remedies?
Planets move in the skies in a pre determined way. The permutations and combinations they form are all predetermined and are being governed by natural laws. Reasoning then suggests that the only way destiny can control your next birth based on your karmas is by choosing a time for your birth when the certain planetary combinations suited to give you the results based on your past karmas are present. So destiny does it role by choosing that moment and giving you a life as per the planetary combinations and their natural effects. Now destiny’s role is done and planets take over to give you the results based on the combinations present at the time of your birth. But what if the man learns to alter the effects of planets to some extent now.. can he alters his predefined life now…. the answer is obviously.. if we understand how planets effect us to begin with to give the life destiny handed over to us.. we can surely alter those effects to make them work for us. That’s what remedies are all about. They are our attempt to alter the natural effects of planets. We do that by experimenting with gems (which use electromagnetic radiations), Mantras. (Which use sound waves) and Yantras (which use geometrical and mathematical shapes).
Correct Way Of Determining Remedy
A doctor needs to determine your health and other drug history before prescribing a medicine. he does that to make sure that there are no unwanted interactions with other drugs you are taking, your body will be able to take the side effects and the drug will be effective given your age, weight, blood pressure etc. An astrologer pretty much needs to do a similar analysis. e.g. Let’s say that a native comes to you with a problem of not able to gain a lot wealth. Now the problem has two parts, he must be able to make a lot of money as well as he must be able to accumulate a lot of wealth by proper savings or investments. What if you suggest a remedy, which will help him, earn a lot of money by making a particular planet stronger? But what if that planet is bad for accumulating wealth? By suggesting that remedy you just made sure that he will earn a lot of money but will not be able to save or invest it properly. That person will obviously come back later on and say that the remedy never worked. The correct way of suggesting the remedy is as follows.
* First Determine the overall bad and good effects of all planets in the chart.
* Next determine the strength of all those planets.
* Next determine what is causing the trouble. A weak but good planet or a strong but malefic planet.
* If both of the above cases are present then choose the weak but the good planet for remedy.
* If weak but good panet is picked for remedy, determine if that planet is capable of producing bad effects for any house. Check the strength of that house, if the house is otherwise strong proceed, otherwise also include in your remedy the good planet for that chart to protect that house.
* If strong but malefic planet is picked up for remedy, determine if that planet (specially the houses on which that planet lords over) is good for any house. Repeat the same check as explained above to make the affected house stronger.
* Finally check the dasha scheme, check the relationship of the planet with the dasha lord and see if they are compatible. If not compatible then suggest a remedy for the dasha lord instead of the planet in question.As you can see the results will really vary chart to chart. That’s why no remedy works the same way for all the poople. Remedies do work, but determine the right remedy takes real skill and years of experience.
Seven N half year of saturn (Shani ki saade saati)
Your life path- Numerology
What is Horoscope